How to engage elementary-aged learners
Home-schooling with Elementary-aged children can be particularly challenging when your home becomes their classroom. Ms. Cheryl Babin, Primary Years Programme Coordinator at STS, shares tips on how to keep your young learners engaged:
- Focus on relationships. Your role as a parent is to support your child's learning and not necessarily teaching them to the same extent your child's teacher would.
- Set up for success - Integrate time throughout the day for rest, snack time and play. Also be sure to integrate non-screen time.
- Choice and control - Help your child establish his/her own role in their learning experience. Guide them to take control and ownership of his/her learning.
- Build self-management skills and stamina - Break the day into manageable bites, create a checklist with visual cues and incorporate cheerful breaks.
- Teach your child to advocate for themselves - Guide your child to ask their teacher for more guidance, clarity or explanation for concepts they don't understand.