The Pinnacle of Deep Learning
At Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School (STS) we believe that academically excellent students are resilient and resourceful in addition to being strong collaborators and communicators.
Students and parents at STS have continued to show strong support for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP), the culmination of the IB educational continuum. Through this Programme, students have the opportunity to go deeper and ask insightful questions, to add to their own perspectives through problem solving, and develop independence and confidence by applying themselves to a wide variety of academic challenges. Not only does this add to their enjoyment of school now, but this leads to success in post-secondary studies and a drive for life- long learning.
The Diploma Programme was introduced at STS in 2001 and, over the course of 21 years, hundreds of Senior School students have taken the opportunity to augment their academic experience at STS.
This year, the DP Class of 2022 had 53 students registered in at least one IB class, including seven Diploma Programme Candidates. Each of the 2022 Diploma Candidates completed the requirements of the two-year IB Diploma Programme, which is a significant academic accomplishment. The Diploma Candidates completed seven IB DP courses, culminating in the writing of 12 to 15 final exams and the submission of a major project in each course. In addition, each student submitted a Theory of Knowledge essay (TOK), an extended essay on a topic of their choosing, and each completed the IB “CAS” portfolio, which promotes personal growth in creativity, activity, and service. The candidates’ 4,000-word extended essay topics reflect the depth of the students’ academic achievement and is a measure of their excellence in scholarship at STS.
“The candidates’ 4,000-word extended essay topics reflect the depth of the students’ academic achievement and is a measure of their excellence in scholarship at Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School.”
- Keaton Maier ’22 | History | The Impact of Horological Technology on the Socio-Economic Development of the Western World.
- Victoria Horsman ’22 | English Literature | A Comparison of the Struggle with Death in the Epic of Gilgamesh and Hamilton: An American Musical.
- Andrew Beingessner ’22 | Global Politics | Evaluating Consultative Elections as Democratic Legitimizers of Canada’s Senate: Proceduralist and Instrumental Criteria.
- Yasmin Mohsen ’22 | Music | The Influence of Historical Andalusian Musical Elements in the Modern Arab World.
- Lucy Coleman ’22 | History | Jazz, African American Music, and Civil Rights - A Study of the Connection Between Jazz and the Movement Towards Civil Rights.
- Ragini Khullar ’22 | Biology | Serum Transferrin Receptor Saturation as a Method of Diagnosis for Iron Deficiency Anemia in Non-actating, Non-Pregnant Nepalese Women Aged 15 - 49.
- Shaheena Shajani ’22 | World Studies | To What Extent did the COVID-19 Pandemic Impact Emotional Mental Health in School-Aged Adolescents Within the United Kingdom and Pakistan?