Our talented, caring teachers deliver well-rounded programming, giving all STS students the opportunity to flourish.
They also connect with students through coaching opportunities, outdoor experiences, sharing service trip adventures and leadership of many other co-curricular programs.
A priority of the School continues to be attracting, developing and retaining exceptional faculty who will elevate teaching practice at STS and inspire excellence in the broader teaching community. In order to remain a leader within the independent school community both nationally and internationally it is essential to provide extraordinary learning opportunities.
STS continues to invest in teachers and their ongoing development in order to advance our mission of excellence in scholarship and student learning. Professional development takes many forms but has a common thread – enriching our students’ learning experience.
Teaching Excellence Highlights
The following are examples of how STS is locally, nationally, and internationally positioning the school as a Centre for Excellence in Teaching:
- The STS Fine Arts Department hosted a Fine Arts PD Day for faculty from several other schools
- STS hosted two groups of University of Calgary students for the Field Experience Practicum focused on school culture
- Several STS faculty led International Baccalaureate (IB) workshops for their peers from other organizations around the world
- STS teachers shared their expertise with their colleagues at faculty-led PD sessions
- We hosted the Canadian Accredited Independent Schools’ (CAIS) Fall Leadership Institute 2014, welcoming school leaders and faculty from CAIS schools across Canada to focus on risk management
- STS brought other school’s faculty to band and choral workshops led by STS faculty
- STS hosted ten student teachers from University of Calgary, for an anthropological study of our school community called ‘Life in Schools’, and for two six week practicums