Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Position Group: Support Staff
Status: Full-Time - 1.0 FTE
We have an excellent opportunity for a CPA looking to advance their career. The Controller will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer and will manage the day to day financial reporting and accounting activities of STS. The Controller will be based out of our Finance Office here at STS and is required to be in the office full-time.
Core areas of Responsibility
- Manage STS’s day to day financial operations including the general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and treasury.
- Assist the CFO in preparing the annual financial statements for the Board of Governors (the Board) and other regulatory bodies.
- Assist the CFO in preparing budget submissions for the Board, the Board’s Finance Committee, Senior Management, and Alberta Education.
- Assist the CFO with providing Senior Management and employees with financial advice and information necessary for their decision-making.
- Assist the CFO with evaluating the accounting policies, systems, and procedures of STS on an ongoing basis and recommending changes for improvement.
- Assist the CFO in providing policy interpretation and assistance to department support staff as required.
- Assist the CFO in providing grant interpretation and assistance to department heads.
- Assist the CFO in ensuring that an efficient and effective internal control, purchasing policy, procedures, and systems are in place.
- Maintain the chart of accounts and make revisions as required.
- Maintain the capital and project ledgers.
- Approve additions and deletions to the accounts payable Vendor Master List.
- Maintain an internal audit function within STS.
- Administer transportation and tuition agreements.
- Plan, organize, and coordinate the department support staff in the day-to-day operation of the Finance Office.
- Provide accounting and financial expertise and training to department support staff.
- Work with other STS departments and in particular, the Community Relations department, in support of the annual enrollment process.
- Monitor the Boards’ fixed assets register and be responsible for all amendments.
- Provide accounting, budgeting, and auditing functions for the Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School Foundation Board.
- Perform the duties of the CFO when the CFO is absent.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CFO.
Experience, Skills, Technical and Behavioural Competencies
- Ability to deal with the conflicting demands of modern accounting practices and governmental regulations.
- Ability to deal with a computerized financial information system.
- Ability to deal with all levels of management whose training and background are not always accounting or business oriented.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral).
- An innovative thinker with an ability to find imaginative solutions.
- Ability to work as a team player as well as work independently with a minimum amount of supervision.
- CPA designation strongly desired.
- 5+ years of Controller experience strongly desired.
- Finance experience within a school environment would be an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in a computerized accounting system.
- Considerable knowledge of GAAP, PSAS.
Applications must contain a cover letter, your resume, and the names and contact information for three work-related references one of which must be a direct supervisor (your references will not be contacted without your prior consent). Please submit your application via email to email@example.com with the position noted in the subject line. Please do not send documents via OneDrive or other cloud-based services and please do not send letters of reference, evaluations, and/or transcripts unless asked to do so.
Applications will be reviewed as received and interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early as the position may be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is selected.
We thank all those who apply, but only those selected to participate in the next phase of our interview process will be contacted.
Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School provides a welcoming environment for all employees and encourages diversity among staff and students as part of our commitment to the Alberta Human Rights Act.