Reports to: Director of Facilities / Grounds Manager
Position Group: Facilities
Status: Full-Time 1.0 FTE
This position serves as part of the facilities team that works collaboratively to provide safe and secure educational facilities that are clean, well - maintained, comfortable, and attractive. Specifically, this position assists in providing technical oversight and general labor for the effective operation and maintenance of all buildings, vehicles, and ground on the STS campus. This position is required to perform minor repairs, monitor and maintain such equipment/systems including but not limited to fire and life safety, security, HVAC, kitchen equipment bathroom fixtures, lighting and building systems. The Facilities/Grounds Operator performs general labors tasks related to the operation and maintenance of buildings, vehicles, and grounds, and assist facility employees in variety of work requests and maintenance tasks. This team member is accountable for modeling standards of conduct, safety procedures and operations while ensuring the effective and efficient delivery of services.
- Perform all duties in accordance with provincial legislation, industry standards and STS procedures to ensure their own safety and the safety of team members, other employees. Students, visitors, and contractors.
- Assists the Director of Facilities and the Grounds Manager.
- Maintain a productive balance between quality and quantity of work in an efficient and timely manner and demonstrate adaptability to change in work priorities.
- Perform minor repairs to all building systems including drywall, painting, cabinetry work, doors and windows, exterior and interior finishing’s, roofing systems floor systems floor finishes, molding and ceiling tile.
- Preforming snow removal and general ground maintenance, shipping and receiving, event setup and take down, classroom setup, opening/closing moving of furniture, equipment and supplies, pick up and deliver material, equipment parts and supplies from local supplies and within the school.
- Assist in monitoring the performance of heating, electrical, mechanical and security systems.
- Perform minor troubleshooting of all equipment, vehicles and building systems issues to ensure the safe and efficient operation.
- Operation of vehicles, ground and snow removal equipment and hand tools.
- Make recommendations for purchasing and maintaining an inventory for necessary supplies, tools and equipment.
- Assist in the ongoing development and implementation of STS Health and Safety Program.
- Take ownership and initiative for respective area and report all maintenance requirements, deficient and safety concerns to Director of Facilities and Grounds Manager as appropriate.
- Communicate effectively and demonstrate teamwork to contribute towards positive relationships.
- Effectively prioritize and solve associated work problems in a collaborative manner.
- Take part in the 24 hour, 7 days a week on-call rotation schedule ensuring maintenance support of the building and building occupants as well as off hours shifts as necessary.
- Maintain clean and tidy work spaces
Experience, Skills, Technical and Behavioural Competencies:
- High School Diploma.
- A valid Alberta class 5 Driver’s license.
- Possession of valid Alberta Fifth Class Power Engineer Certificate (or to obtain) would be considered an asset.
- Trade certification in any of the major building disciplines would be considered an asset.
- Previous experience in plant and/or building operations; with a preference in K-12 education facility.
- The ability to start up, operate and troubleshoot boiler, heating and ventilating systems safety.
- Suitable demeanor to working within a diverse school community and ability to maintain positive relationships with students, parents, employees, contractors and outside agencies.
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to maintain confidentiality and work with tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, speak and write in English, have strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to keep accurate records.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of computers (e.g. Microsoft Office, and building management systems).
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety measures specific to facilities.
- Keep current and updated in personal certifications and technical related matters.
- Self-Motivated; able to work independently without supervision
- Strong organization and time management skills and demonstrates the ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to read and interpret building plans and specifications.
Applications must contain a cover letter, your resume, and the names and contact information for three work-related references one of which must be a direct supervisor (your references will not be contacted without your prior consent). Please submit your application via email to email@example.com with the position noted in the subject line. Please do not send documents via OneDrive or other cloud-based services and please do not send letters of reference, evaluations, and/or transcripts unless asked to do so.
Applications will be reviewed as received and interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early as the position may be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is selected.
We thank all those who apply, but only those selected to participate in the next phase of our interview process will be contacted.
Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School provides a welcoming environment for all employees and encourages diversity among staff and students as part of our commitment to the Alberta Human Rights Act.