Senior Middle School English Teacher
Position: English Teacher
Reports to: Senior School Principal
Position Group: Faculty
Teaching Accountability: 1.0 FTE
Term: Continuing (after probationary period)
- Teach to the Alberta Program of Studies
- Demonstrate the competencies outlined in Alberta Education’s Teaching Quality Standard (TQS) and STS’s Model for Teaching Excellence
- Abide by policies laid out in the Education Act (2019)
- Ensure the safety and well-being of our students in accordance with STS procedures and policies
- Understand and implement the Mission and Vision of the School
- Collaborate with school administration, the Middle Years Programme (MYP) and Diploma Programme (DP) Coordinator, other teachers in the department, and other faculty at STS
- Model the Learner Profile of the International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Create a supportive learning environment for students that encourages inquiry and offers opportunities to develop the attributes of the IB Learner Profile;
- Develop and implement a rich and varied curriculum in English including the use of canonical and experimental literary texts, as well as multimedia to engage students in literary and creative thinking and learning;
- Utilize a variety of effective teaching, classroom management and assessment practices in support of student achievement
- Conduct formative and summative assessment of students, provide detailed, effective, and immediate feedback to support student learning as well as evaluate achievement and report results to students and parents
- Use data-informed strategies to understand students’ learning abilities and apply teaching interventions to support learning
- Maintain effective communication with parents, colleagues and students
- Utilize technology to promote innovative and effective teaching and learning
- Provide pastoral care to students in the capacity of an advisor to support student achievement and well-being
- Engage with and support co-curricular and athletic programs to support student learning and development outside the classroom.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous learning and reflection to refine teaching practice
- Engage in ongoing professional learning
- Keep current on educational research about how students learn and factors that influence students’ learning and achievement
- Ensure that skill development and technology use by students keeps pace with changing needs at the post-secondary level to ensure that students are well prepared for the next stage of their learning.
Applications must contain a cover letter, your resume, a one-page Teaching Philosophy Statement, the names and contact information for three work-related references one of which must be a direct supervisor (your references will not be contacted without your prior consent), and a copy of your Alberta Teaching Certificate (if you have one – if you do not, you must be eligible to obtain one). Please submit your application via email to email@example.com with the position noted in the subject line. Please do not send documents via SkyDrive or other cloud-based services and please do not send letters of reference, evaluations, and/or transcripts unless asked to do so.
Applications will be reviewed as received and interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early as the position may be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is selected. The application closing date is Friday, June 25, 2021, at 12:00 noon.
We thank all those who apply, but only those selected to participate in the next phase of our interview process will be contacted.
Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School provides a welcoming environment for all employees and encourages diversity among staff and students as part of our commitment to the Alberta Human Rights Act.