Your child's experience at Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School is exceptional because of our community. We all contribute directly to the collective experience of every student.
Each of us enjoys incredible opportunities at STS because of those who came before us. Since our inception, alumni, parents, grandparents, faculty, staff and friends have been helping with contributions that support our vision and mission.
For example, The Cross Family donated the land we know today as the STS campus in 1971. And, since 2009, our community has contributed generously to STS. A large part of that built our 65,000 square foot facility expansion, which opened in 2018. The associated fundraising campaign, Inspiring Possibilities, raised an impressive $27.3 million. But not every penny went to construction.
We all want the ideal physical learning environment for STS students, but we acknowledge that our buildings need to be filled with exceptional people. The Inspiring Possibilities campaign also donated $800,000 to our faculty's professional development, opportunities, and $1.9 million for scholarships and to remove financial barriers to outstanding students.
"Many of the resources that made my STS experience extraordinary were donated by families that came before me. When I realized that, I didn't want to take advantage of that. I wanted to help build a legacy." - Ian Graham '93, alumni donor
What About the Tuition Fees?
As an independent school, we rely on tuition to cover our operational costs. Aided by a partial grant from the Government of Alberta, tuition pays faculty and staff salaries, and necessary operating expenses.
Everything else that helps make STS special is a result of contributions, including:
- ample merit-based student scholarships as well as bursaries for currently the 15% of our families who receive some form of merit-based scholarship and/or financial aid.
- extraordinary professional development for faculty builds professional capacity through faculty mentoring, ingraining research-based teaching practices and contributing to the evolution of the profession, which will keep faculty interested and engaged at STS and ultimately optimize student learning and success.
- guest speakers, such as the recent visit from Paul Davis, a nationally recognized expert on social media and online safety, or Artists-in-Residence, like guest band conductor Dr. Gillian MacKay.
Your donations create the valuable and unique experiences your children have — and pave the way for future STS students to thrive here too.
"For me, the most important thing about STS is the community, especially the relationships kids have with teachers. That's why I choose to donate to Scholarships and Bursaries. We avoid elitism or entitlement; great candidates come from all walks of life. Diversity is a reality and a broad pool of students improve the school. It's more like the world they're all going to live in." - Todd Worsley '88, alumni and parent donor
How to Give
There are several easy methods to make your contribution:
- Try this easy tool "Giftabulator" to figure out the best way to give. It's completely confidential, and none of the information entered is recorded or used for solicitation purposes.
- Donate online with a credit card.
- Call us at 403-938-8318 to make gifting arrangements.
- Mail a cheque, payable to Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School. Print and complete this form and mail your cheque to:
RR2, Okotoks, AB T1S 1A2
Attention: Brenda Thompson
Thank you! Please don't hesitate to give us a call with any questions.